Thursday, October 4, 2012

Conversations

I have been really thinking a lot lately about the conversations I have with my boys. To frequently I am guilty of nodding my head and hearing them talk, but not really listening. Until recently... I am realizing that the conversation they want to have with my are very important to them. These are the things on their minds that they want me to know about and I need to take the time to stop what I am doing and really listen.

Luke wants to tell me who he played with at recess. What plays he made in football practice. How he got that scratch on his cheek. What cool moves the red ninja on Ninjago makes. He wants me to know that he was noticed today in class for his good behavior and that he didn't talk at lunch when he wasn't supposed to. Do I think his tooth is loose?

Brady wants to ask me why did I take my fingernail polish off? Why don't I put some more on? He wants me to know that he likes it when I pack him gummy snacks in his lunch. He played basketball at recess today with Gavin. What letter does Daddy's name start with? And what letter does my names start with? How did Robert Griffin get that 2nd name (his nickname)? What is a redskin? Why are Indians sometimes called redskins? He wants me to know why he doesn't like to watch Dora the Explorer anymore. It's to much of a baby show and he is not a baby. He likes big kid shows now so please don't turn that on for him.

Owen wants to show me his trucks. He wants me to read to him and quiz him over the pictures on the pages. He would love for me to stop and watch this new cool trick he can do. Sometimes he just wants me to "hold you". Or show me how "I do it by myself". He wants me to listen to how good he is at making his animal sounds and how scary his tiger sound is.

Those are the things in my kids every day life and they are a big deal. Just like I need my friends to listen to the things I find important- they need that as well. So, I am gonna do my best to take the time to really stop and listen.

No comments: