Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Luke's Preschool Journey

On August 27, 2007 Luke started his very first day at In His Steps Preschool and Mother's Day Out. I remember the night before school like it was yesterday. We had just moved into our new house. I was unpacking boxes for the kitchen and crying thinking that tomorrow my baby was gonna start Mother's Day Out. Why was I doing this? I didn't really want him to be gone from me two days a week like that? BUT- Caleb & I had talked about it and decided that it was best for him to be around other children to help him in his social development. So- I picked myself up out of my puddle of tears and started packing his little preschool backpack and lunch box.

The first day was great! He didn't even cry! The second day- it finally hit him that he was being left and he didn't like that one single bit. However, his sweet sweet gentle loving teacher Mrs. Gemma always made both of us more comfortable. She even told me she rocked him to sleep every day for nap.


Luke's first Preschool class picture.

The second year was emotionally just as hard. You see, Luke had just become a big brother only a week before he started school. Only this year- he had a much more firm teacher who didn't really allow much crying. Mrs. Kim is exactly what every two year old needs in their life. STRUCTURED! After about a month Luke loved her and followed all her rules to a tee.





By Luke's third year of school, he looked forward to school every Tuesday & Thursday. He was so excited to go and be with his friends. His teacher that year was Mrs. Alissa. She is a mom of only boys so I knew she would be a perfect boy teacher too. What a great year that was. Luke had so much fun and I loved seeing him enjoy his time there!



Then, it was time for PreK-4. For the first time, Luke would be going to school four days a week. On Monday & Wednesday he went from 9am-12pm. On Tuesday & Thursday he went from 9am-2pm so he got to stay for lunch on those days. Every single Monday and Wednesday he was so bummed that he didn't get to stay for lunch until the month of May when I finally gave in and let him stay until 2pm every day. This year has been such an awesome year of growth and learning. He has come so far. He has made a whole class full of friends- friends who I really hope we can keep in touch with. They remind me of a little family. Mrs. Palm has done an AMAZING job of teaching them. I could not have asked for anything more.




Now, as Luke's preschool journey is finally over I will begin to pray for the next step of his journey. Next year he will start public school. No more learning songs about Jesus and how much He loves us- no more Wednesday Chapel Day- no more learning a weekly Bible verse- and no more guarantee of getting a Christian teacher. Am I sad, nervous, scared??? You better believe it! BUT I know that God has my Luke right in the palm of His hand and He promises to watch over and protect him. So, I will choose to trust in God's Promise for Luke.

No comments: