Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Operation Christmas Child 2011

For the past 9 years I have been participating in some capacity with this amazing program called Operation Christmas Child. It is run by an organization called Samaritan's Purse. They collect shoe boxes full of children's toys, school supplies, socks, etc. to take to less fortunate communities in other countries during Christmas.

Most years I have been our church's liaison for Operation Christmas Child and collected the boxes to take to the drop off location. I have hauled hundreds of shoe boxes over the years that were donated and have always been truly blessed to be a part of such an awesome act of love.

This year, I told my church I would not be able to head it up due to my commitments with the boy's schools, but of all the years this one was my favorite. This was the first year I was able to see how selfless my two sweet boys really could be. We sat them down and talked to them about other children around the world and told them that tonight was a night to think only about those kids and not ourselves. So we loaded them up with their shoe boxes and headed to Target.

Brady had his box filled to the brim in no time. Luke was a little more careful with his choices.
I was so proud of the boys! Not once did they ask for one thing for themselves. All this time, I have to admit that I have kind of avoided projects like this thinking they wouldn't "get" it, but they totally "got" it!

Shame on me for not doing things like this more often. Lesson learned though- I want to instill in them an attitude of selflessness so from now on we are going to try to start thinking of ways to use what we have to help others from time to time. Because boy weren't those boys good at it!

Here they are with their boxes full! (there was no way we were gonna leave that store without a football for each of our little friends across the world)




Luke did a great job writing a special note for his friend. Brady did too, but at the last minute he decided to give his note to me instead of including it in the box which was fine too :)

No comments: